- Board Member Welcomes
- Virtual EMA in Philadelphia
- Join #SMEMChat on Fridays
- Interesting #SMEM Articles
- VOST Leadership Coalition Meeting
- Virtual EMA Newsletter Survey
Board Member Welcomes
We have two excellent ladies who have been appointed to serve on our Board.
We'd like to welcome Cecile Glassy from California, who comes to us with experience in both education and technology. She currently works for a school district in Santa Clara and works with technology as part of her everyday service.
We also welcome Dr. Lise St. Denis who is Research Scientist from the EarthLab at the University of Colordo Boulder. Lise has been
studying the #SMEM and role of Virtual Teams in emergencies for a number of years and her insight and knowledge will be an excellent addition to our board.
There is one more opening on our Board. If you are interested in applying for this opening, please apply by clicking on THIS LINK. We will take applications through August 15th for a 2-year appointment, beginning this fall.
Virtual EMA Visits Philly
In June, Cheryl Bledsoe and Cory Grogan visited Philadelphia to meet with a diverse group of Public Information Officers, Emergency Managers, Public Health and Private Sector partners to talk about Virtual Operation Support Teams (VOST). Cory spoke about Oregon's use of VOST teams during emergency incidents in Oregon, while Cheryl shared about how to set up and utilize VOST teams.
In addition, Jim Garrow, from Philadelphia's public health sector, spoke about local use of VOST concepts during the Pope's visit and during political conventions. The group concluded a great day of conversation by walking through an exercise to negotiate VOST missions based on several emergency scenarios. It was a lovely day of conversation, networking and sharing.
Join #SMEMChat on Fridays
When is the last time you visited www.twitter.com to share information? Are you regularly lurking and practicing how to have a conversation with people online? Do you regularly reach out and say "hi" to colleagues all over the world?
If the answer to these questions isn't "yesterday" and "YASSSSS," you are missing an opportunity to understand a form of communication that could be vital to your next emergency. It is important that you know how this platform works and how to reach out to others. Every Friday at 12:30p Eastern, a facilitated conversation occurs around a broad spectrum of social media in emergency management topic. You can find this conversation by putting #smemchat into the search bar on Twitter.
Join in the conversation and brush up on your Twitter skills. You will find people who will say "hi" and talk back to you. And, you might just find yourself a little more ready for your next crisis.
Social Media / Emergency Management Articles
There are several interesting articles recently which we wanted to make sure you didn't miss when it comes to emerging technologies:
- Scanner Groups Beat Media Reporting. This is interesting because these groups exist in nearly every community. Are you building relationships with your local scanner group leaders? You should as they will be amplifying your emergency with large follower groups whether or not you want them to.
VOST Leadership Coalition Meeting
- July 20th Meeting: The VOST Leadership Coalition meets monthly now on the 3rd Friday of each month at 3p Eastern.
Virtual EMA Newsletter Survey
- Our focus continues to provide an hour where active VOST teams may share team status, lessons learned, upcoming training/exercise events and bring questions to an open forum for discussion among other team leaders. All are welcome to participate.
- We would love to collect your feedback about our newsletter. We have two quick questions at this link and hope you can help us by sharing your insight: https://goo.gl/forms/IQfeSDry9E3kLTeg1